This study develops and presents a methodology for determining the optimal geographic distribution and size of asphalt concrete plants in Karbala, Iraq, in order to minimize the cost of asphalt concrete produced. The purpose of this study is to discuss these points. The methodology can identify potential locations for asphalt concrete plants within a study area, considering the plants' operation and capital costs and the costs of transporting raw materials to the plants and asphalt concrete to demand centers. Matrix Laboratory (MATLAB) software have been used to program the methodology. This methodology has been applied to Karbala using actual data. The methodology's output identifies the optimal locations and sizes of asphalt concrete plants in Karbala. There are two optimal locations for asphalt concrete plants B and D; their total size is 80 tons per hour and 800 tons per hour, respectively. This is adequate to supply Karbala's asphalt concrete demand to 2032. The methodology effectively determines the optimal geographic locations and sizes of asphalt concrete plants in the study area.
- Nas B, Cay T, Berktay A, Iscan F. Selection of MSW landfill site or Konya, Turkey using GIS and multicriteria evaluation. J Environ Eng 2010;160:491e500. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-008-0713-8.
- Mohammed SR, Hamza G. Affordable housing and ways to achieve lower cost and less period of time. Journal of Kerbala University 2015;13(2):13e31. https://www.iasj.net/iasj/download/75a41a96f0b7f1e0.
- Mohammed SR. Forecasting of factors affecting thermiston work productivity estimation by using artificial neural network. J Construct Eng Technol Manag 2017;7(1):10e21. www.stmjournals.com.
- Delivand MK, Cammerino AR, Garofalo P, Monteleone M. Optimal locations of bioenergy facilities, biomass spatial availability, logistics costs and GHG (greenhouse gas) emissions: a case study on electricity productions in South Italy. J Clean Prod 2015;99:129e39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.03.018.
- Woo H, Acuna M, Moroni M, Taskhiri MS, Turner P. Optimizing the location of biomass energy facilities by integrating multi- criteria analysis (MCA) and geographical information systems (GIS). Forests 2018;9(10):585. https://doi.org/10.3390/f9100585.
- Jayarathna L, Kent G, O'Hara I, Hobson P. A Geographical Information System based framework to identify optimal location and size of biomass energy plants using single or multiple biomass types. Appl Energy 2020;275:1e14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.115398.
- Holsbeeck SV, Ezzati S, R€oser D, Brown M. A two-stage DSS to evaluate optimal locations for bioenergy facilities. Forests 2020;11(9):968. https://doi.org/10.3390/f11090968.
- Construction Engineering/University of Toronto. Highway 401 expansion project. 2012. https://sites.google.com/site/hwy401exp/home. [Accessed 2 March 2022]. Accessed.
- Peurifoy RL, Schexnayder C, Schmitt R, Shapira A. Construction planning equipment and method. Seven Edition. McGraw-Hill Education; 2005.. https://www.abebooks.com.
- Central Bank of Iraq. Interest rate of commercial banks. 2022. https://www.cbiraq.org/SubCategoriesTable.aspx?SubCatID=114. [Accessed 7 March 2022]. Accessed.
- Mohammad SR, Ali G. Spatial analysis based method to determine the optimal locations for asphaltic concrete plants: case study in Karbala governorate of Iraq. IEEE, 2022 international symposium on multidisciplinary studies and innovative technologies (ISMSIT):105 - 110. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1109/ISMSIT56059.2022.9932745.
- Wu X, Gao L, Du S. Mix proportion design of asphalt concrete. Mater Sci Eng 2017;275:1e11. https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/link_gateway/2017MS&E..275a2019W/doi:10. 1088/1757-899X/275/1/012019.
- Al-yasery H, Almuhanna R, Al-jawahery Z. Metro stations site selection in Karbala city using (GIS). IOP Conf Ser Mater Sci Eng 2018;433(1):1e11.https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/433/1/012036.
- Ali G, Mohammad SR, Al-busaltan S. Forecasting the demand for asphalt concrete in Karbala governorate. AL-Bahir Journal for Engineering and Pure Sciences 2022;1:33e42.http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/.
Ali, Ghayath; Mohammad, Sawsan R; and Abdulhussein, Alaa M.
"Optimizing Locations and Sizes of Asphalt Concrete Plants in Karbala, Iraq,"
Al-Bahir Journal for Engineering and Pure Sciences: Vol. 2
, Article 2.
Available at: https://doi.org/10.55810/2312-5721.1017