In the College of Education for Pure Sciences Ibn al-Haytham, irradiation of soil samples was conducted to obtain measurements of uranium content in soil samples using CR-39 in 36 surface soil samples from selected sites (some of which, according to the authors, were measured for the first time) in the North Governorate Basra. It was found that uranium concentrations ranged from (1.1 ppm) in the Al Madina center to (1.6 ppm) in Talha. Results are presented and compared with other research findings. The concentration of uranium in the governorates north of Basra has been presented and evaluated in this article. The present results show that the uranium contents in the surface soil samples examined were below the UNSCEAR recommended limit of 11.7 ppm.
- Algrifi MA, Salman TM. Measuring uranium concentration in Um Qasr district, southern Iraq, in two different ways. Appl Radiat Isot 2022:110595. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apradiso.2022.110595
- Sweaf AA, Salman TM. Measurement of uranium concentrations in soil samples of Al-Diwaniyah governorate, Iraq, by using CR-39 track detector. J Kufa-Phys 2019;11(2). https://doi.org/10.31257/2019/JKP/11/2/01
- Salman TM, Fleifil SS. Evaluation of Uranium Concentration in Soil Samples of Basrah Governorates using ICP-Mass Techniques. Evaluation 2015;5(10):43e7. https://doi.org/10.1177/1356389015610475
- Banks D, Røyset O, Strand T, Skarphagen H. Radioelement (U, Th, Rn) concentrations in Norwegian Bedrock Ground waters. Environ Geol 1995;25(3):165e80. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00767760
- Todorov PT, Ilieva EN. Contamination with Uranium from natural and anthropological sources Romanian. J Phys 2005;50(9e10):25e30. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-8949/2005/T118/005
- Salman TM, Algrifi MA. Using the ICP-MS method, the concentration of Uranium in soil samples from the Northern Basrah governorate was determined. Al-Bahir J Eng Pure Sci 2022;1(1):1. https://doi.org/10.32985/ajeps.v1i1.1
- Khan HA, Qureshi AA. Solid state nuclear track detection: a useful geological/geophysical tool. Nucl Geophys 1994;8(1):1e37.
- Gamboa I, Espinosa G, Moreno A, Golzarri JI, Castillo F. Uranium determination in mineral rocks by SSNTD Nuclear tracksvol. 8; 1984. p. 443e5 (1-4).
- Mansour HL, Tawfiq NF, Kari MS. Measurement of uranium concentrations in soil samples for selected regions in Thi-Qar governorate by using (CR-39) nuclear track detector Engineering and Technology. Journal 2015;33:1127e33 (6 Part (B) Scientific).
- Danesi PR, Bleise A, Burkart W, Cabianca T, Campbell MJ, Makarewicz M, Moreno J, Tuniz C, Hotchkis M. Isotopic composition and origin of Uranium and plutonium in selected soil samples collected in Kosovo. J Environ Radioactiv 2003;64(2e3):121e31.
- Oufni L. Determination of the radon diffusion coefficient and radon exhalation rate in Moroccan quaternary samples using the SSNTD technique. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 2003;256(3):581e6.
- Salman TM, Algrifi MA. Using the ICP-MS method, the concentration of Uranium in soil samples from the Northern Basrah governorate was determined. Al-Bahir J Eng Pure Sci 2022;1(1):1.
- Bem H, Bou-Rabee F. Environmental and health consequences of depleted uranium use in the 1991 Gulf War Environ Int 2004;30(1):123e34.
- Barišić D, Vertačnik A, Lulić S. Caesium contamination and vertical distribution in undisturbed soils in Croatia. J Environ Radioact 1999;46(3):361e74.
- Kakati RK, Kakati L, Ramachandran TV. Measurement of uranium, radium and radon exhalation rate of soil samples from Karbi Anglong district of Assam in India using EDXRF and Can technique method APCBEE procedia; 2013. p. 186e91 (5).
- Baykara O, Doğru M. Measurements of radon and uranium concentration in water and soil samples from East Anatolian Active Fault Syst Radiat Measur 2006;41(3):362e7.
- Geraldo LP, Serafim RA, Corrêa BA, Yamazaki IM, Primi MC. Uranium content and dose assessment for sediment and soil samples from the estuarine system of Santos and São Vicente, SP, Brazil. Radiat Protect Dosim 2010;140(1):96e100.
- Kadhim NH, Kadhim SS. Measurement of uranium concentration in some soil samples in Tuwaitha site in Baghdad using CR-39 Detector. Int J Curr Eng Technol 2018;8(1):17e20.
Salman, Thaer M. and Algrifi, Mostafa A.
"Uranium concentrations in soil samples from the north of Basrah Governorate,"
Al-Bahir Journal for Engineering and Pure Sciences: Vol. 2
, Article 4.
Available at: https://doi.org/10.55810/2312-5721.1015