In the laboratories of the Zarazma Mineral Studies Company in Tehran, the Islamic Republic of Iran, measurements of Uranium content in soil samples were made utilizing ICP-MS (inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry) in 36 samples of surface soil from selected locations (Some of which, according to the authors, were measured for the first time) in the Northern Basrah governorate. Uranium concentrations were found to range from ( 0.9 ppm ) in Al-Awjan to ( 1.5 ppm ) in Al-Ez River soils. The findings are given and contrasted with those of other research. The soil samples analyzed were uranium less than 100 ppm, which implies an amount of overburden and reserves instead of mineable reserves. The concentration of uranium in the Northern Basrah Governorates is presented and evaluated in this article. The study also indicates that uranium levels in 36 samples of surface soil are below the detection limit. The current findings demonstrate that the uranium contents in the surface soil samples examined were lower than the UNSCEAR-recommended limit of 11.7 ppm.
- Salman TM, Fleifil SS. Evaluation of uranium concentration in soil samples of Basrah Governorates using ICP-mass techniques. Evaluation 2015 Oct;5(10):43e7.
- United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation. Sources, effects and risks of ionizing radiation, united nations scientific committee on the effects of atomic radiation (UNSCEAR) 2016 report: report to the general assembly, with scientific annexes. United Nations; 2017 Apr 25. Link
- Keith S, Faroon O, Roney N, Scinicariello F, Wilbur S, Ingerman L, et al. Toxicological profile for uranium.
- Little MP, Wakeford R, Tawn EJ, Bouffler SD, De Gonzalez AB. Risks associated with low doses and low dose rates of ionizing radiation: why linearity may be (almost) the best we can do. Radiology 2009 Apr;251(1):6.
- Abo Jassim AA. IOSR J Appl Chem 2014;6(5):61e5.
- Yousuf RM, Abullah KO. Measurement of uranium and radon Concentrations in resources of water from Sulaimany Governorate-Kurdistan region-Iraq. ARPN J Sci Technol 2011;3(6):632e8.
- Khater AE, Sewaidan HA. Radio ecological aspects of hail region: behavior of some radionuclide's in soil (Doctoral dissertation, Ph. D. Thesis. College of Science, University of King Saud).
- Gavrilescu M, Pavel LV, Cretescu I. Characterization and remediation of soils contaminated with uranium. J Hazard Mater 2009 Apr 30;163(2e3):475e510.
- Al-Wasity AM. A study of concentration measurement of alpha and gamma emitting radionuclides in soil of Wasit governorate (Doctoral dissertation, M. Sc. Thesis, University of Baghdad, Iraq).
- Alyaa A, Asia H. Measuring the uranium concentration for adults teeth in Al-Fluja city using nuclear track detector (CR-39). J Curr Eng Technol 2015 Dec;5(6).
- Nidhala HK, Al-Ani, Qasim RY, Abd- Al-Hussein Z. J Baghdad Sci 2011;8(1):39e43.
- Nidhala HK, Al-Ani, Qasim RY, Alwan AM. J Al- Nahrain Univ 2012;15(2):1e5.
- Kaddhim AA, Ahmed IK. Uranium concentration measurements in Al-Dura soil of Baghdad Governorate using pm-355 detector. Int J Multidiscipl Curr Res 2014 Mar;2:364e6.
- Mehra R, Singh NP. Uranium concentration in ground water samples belonging to some areas of Western Haryana, India using fission track registration technique. J Publ Health Epidemiol 2011 Aug 31;3(8):352e7.
Salman, Thaer M. and Algrifi, Mostafa A.
"Using the ICP-MS method, the concentration of uranium in soil samples from the Northern Basrah governorate was determined,"
Al-Bahir Journal for Engineering and Pure Sciences: Vol. 1
, Article 1.
Available at: https://doi.org/10.55810/2312-5721.1002